2020: Celebrating Year of the Nurse, the Ultimate Caregivers
Nurses provide patients with care, understanding, empathy and compassion, and they advocate for the transformation of healthcare in their local communities and worldwide. This year, Chamberlain University will join global supporters around the world to celebrate all nurses who make a difference every day by Stepping Forward for their patients and for the growth of the industry.
The Year of the Nurse and Midwife honors the 200th anniversary of Florence Nightingale’s birth, the woman who changed the face of nursing during the Crimean War in the 1850s by becoming a highly skilled, respected medical professional.
The World Health Organization (WHO) has designated 2020 as The Year of the Nurse and Midwife in commemoration of Nightingale. The WHO will team with key partners during the year including the International Confederation of Midwives, International Council of Nurses, Nursing Now and the United Nations Population Fund, and together, they will:
- Celebrate the contributions of those improving the healthcare environment, with specific focus on nurses and midwives
- Acknowledge, appreciate and address the challenging conditions nurses and midwives face while providing care where it's needed most
- Advocate for increased investments in the nursing and midwifery workforce
The Year of the Nurse activities will aid in bringing awareness to the State of the World’s Nursing Report 2020.
Throughout 2020, Chamberlain will also celebrate nurses who Step Forward by engaging with medical professionals to highlight nursing excellence, innovation and its overall value in global healthcare. We will:
- Broadcast original Year of the Nurse podcasts – where nurses discuss topics shaping today’s world of nursing
- Share public health topics that make a difference in the daily lives of nurses – from patient bedside care to the public health boardroom
- Highlight alumni nursing specialties
- Participate in global events during the year
Stay engaged in how our Chamberlain community is celebrating the Year of the Nurse by following us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, YouTube and Pinterest. Join in the conversation with #ChamberlainUniversity. Remember to like and share any #ChamberlainUniversity stories that resonate with you and share your stories by using our hashtags.