Pregnancy and Parenting Accommodation Policy
Chamberlain University is committed to creating an inclusive environment for pregnant and parenting students. The Office of Equity and Access helps pregnant and parenting students understand their options throughout their pregnancy, when pregnancy-related medical conditions arise and when accommodations are requested due to parenting responsibilities.
Chamberlain prohibits harassment and/or discrimination of any member of its community based on their sex, gender identify or expression, or pregnancy or parental status. Students who would like to report discrimination, harassment, or retaliation may contact the Office of Equity and Access at email@example.com or through the Speak Up Program.
If you are a student who would like to request accommodations related to your pregnancy and/or parenting status, and can provide supporting documentation, please contact the Office of Equity and Access’ Case Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or 630-829-0233. For additional information on Chamberlain’s Pregnancy and Parenting Policy, please visit the online Student Handbook.
Accommodations may include, but are not limited to:
- Providing mobility support
- Excusing medically-necessary pregnancy-related absences
- Extending deadlines and/or allowing the student to make up test, assignments, participation in online courses
- Providing modifications requested by a pregnant student to protect the health and safety of the student and/or their pregnancy (such as allowing the student to maintain a safe distance from hazardous substances)
- Allowing breastfeeding students reasonable time and a location that is private, lockable, clean and reasonably accessible, to pump and store breast milk
Please note that accommodations pursuant to this Policy cannot be approved retroactively. Please be sure to reach out in advance of your need for accommodations. Accommodations are granted on a case-by-case basis.
The Office of Equity and Access serves as a resource and is available to answer questions related to this Policy.